Hi, I'm Martin Bell
I help people use data to improve their business.
Get in touch if I can help you with any aspect of data engineering or analytics.
My Career, So Far...
- Stonecrop Technologies
- 2016-11-01 to 2020-04-23
Inherited a team of Excel specialists focused on manual report production and built the team out via skills growth and new hires into a highly functioning group of data analysts, developers and DevOps engineers. Introduced agile workflows, Python and SQL best practices, built a data warehouse and pipeline on AWS, implemented visualization tools (Good Data, Tableau), introduced Airflow to manage workflow, managed multiple Postgres clusters.
Insights & Analysis Lead
- Safari Books Online
- 2015-01-01 to 2016-03-10
Lead a team of developers and analysts to create the front-end of brand new data pipeline. Implemented a new instance of Pentaho, giving internal and external teams unprecedented access to user behavior with reporting tools and dashboards created in CDF, D3.js, Tableau, R and Shiny. Took advantage of Safari’s core learning product to level-up my Python and SQL skills to create ETL processes. Guided Data Science team with strategic direction and infrastructure support. Improved insight into product usage by helping create an internal analytics solution based on clickstream logs processed through Redshift.
Web Analytics Manager
- Safari Books Online
- 2010-08-30 to 2015-01-01
I’ve been described as “pivotal” in turning Safari into a data-driven company. Directed web analytics for all of Safari’s properties including two major web applications, three mobile apps and related marketing and promotional blogs and sites. Improved Safari’s SEO efforts to get a barely crawled, paywalled site into the top SERPs resulting in millions of organic page views per month. Recreated user confidence in a legacy Omniture / Adobe Analytics implementation that was widely distrusted. Lead Google Analytics implementations across web properties, mobile apps and internal tools. Directed an acquisition optimization team, introducing A/B and multivariate testing to improve trial signup and conversion rates by double digit %.
E Commerce Manager
- Birkenstock USA
- 2009-02-01 to 2010-08-30
Directed and managed day to day operations of BirkenstockUSA.com; drove online sales growth by 30% and expanded brand awareness through email, natural and paid search, affiliate programs, co-branded partnerships, and social marketing. Developed and launched an online outlet store, successfully selling product that would otherwise would have been dumped.
Online Marketing Manager
- Wild Planet Entertainment
- 2005-01-01 to 2009-01-31
Grew online store revenues from zero to over $1 million in three years; directed national promotional contest (Kid Inventor Challenge) growing number of entries by 50%. Responsible for all aspects of Wild Planet's Internet strategy, managing internal and external design and development teams to extend brands online through the creation of standards-based, user-focused web sites and email campaigns. Managed data-driven ppc campaigns to high levels of ROI, created and managed successful email and social marketing campaigns.
- Wild Planet Toys
- 2003-05-01 to 2004-12-31
- Supported Research Manager with quantitative analysis.
- Managed Consumer Service Associate.
- Developed web strategy and managed outsourcing of web site design and development.
- Introduced SEO practices, increasing site traffic by 200%.
Associate Marketing Manager
- Wild Planet Toys
- 2001-03-01 to 2003-05-01
- Implementing a web-integrated crm system, reducing customer wait time from many days to less than 24 hours.
- Directed product line development of several brands from ideation through production.
- Created trade promotional materials.
- Managed PR relationships.
Editorial Assistant / Contributor
- T3 Magazine - Future Publishing
- 2000-08-01 to 2001-02-28
- Reported daily news stories for t3online.com.
- Answered reader’s consumer technology questions.
- Supervised photo shoots.
- Managed review product flow through magazine, maintaining beneficial relationships with manufacturers, freelancers and staff.
- 01.02 - 05.05
- UC Berkeley Extension
- Professional Sequence for Internet Professionals
- 09.98 - 08.99
- Golden Gate University, San Francisco
- MA Liberal Studies (not completed)
- 09.92 - 06.95
- University of the West of England, UK
- BA(Hons) Science, Society & the Media